“Healthy Organization” Foundation #1-5 (All of Them!)
How often should you go to a doctor for a routine checkup? The answer is, “It depends….” There are many factors including your age, sex, occupation and family medical history that indicate how often and for what conditions you should be checked. How often should you check on the “health” of your organization? This doesn’t “depend”. It should be no less than once a year and preferably once a quarter!
There are 5 key components that make up the foundations of any healthy organization:
- Healthy CEO/leader: It all starts with the leader(s). If the leaders aren’t “healthy”, the other 4 healthy organization foundation elements are irrelevant. (Check out THIS link to see what a healthy leader does for his/her organization.)
- Truly effective teams: The only thing natural in organizations of human beings is chaos and self-interest. With healthy leaders, though, groups of individuals can come together, in cooperation and respect, to support a common goal.
- Clarity of purpose throughout the organization, at the company, team and individual level: The best organizations have a clear purpose that team members embrace and defined strategies to guide you to your goal. Everyone knows “where” you’re going and “why” it’s important. They also understand how their individual contribution supports the goal.
- Productive culture: Do people WANT to be part of your organization and do they show up and contribute their best efforts and capabilities? If “yes”, your culture is probably productive.
- Growth and profit: If you’re not profitable, you won’t be able to make the investments in systems and people to support growth. If you’re not growing, your best talent will leave for better opportunities, leaving you with mediocre talent and mediocre performance.
Unlike human beings with our incredibly complex bodies and barely-understood biological processes, the ability to get a handle on the health of your organization is relatively straightforward and easy, leaving no excuse to NOT periodically check in on how healthy your organization is. Take the 6-minute Healthy Organization Survey HERE. You’ll get an instant response and an e-mailed report with all results. (Just like a doctor’s report!) Find out if you should “Write a book! Tell everyone how you got so healthy!” or if you should “Head to the emergency room!”
Please share your comments and healthy organization experiences on my website.